WEEK 9 HOMEWORK
CH 11 pp 393-407
TOWARD RACIAL DEMOCRACY
- Compare and contrast the three responses to racial inequality: colorblindness, multiculturalism and racial democracy.
- What did the case of Plessy v. Ferguson decide?
- Which Supreme Court justice wrote the dissent?
- What did he write?
- What did Ricci v. deStefano decide?
- What did Gratz v. Bollinger decide?
- Who is Eduardo Bonilla-Silva? How did he define the “linguistic manners and rhetorical strategies” of color-blindness?
- What did Gutman say about color-blindness (the entire quote)?
- Who were St. John de Crevecoeur; Israel Zangwill?
- Give two facts about the sociologist Robert Park. What are the four stages of his “race relations cycle”?
- How does Kallen end his essay on hyphenation (the entire quote)? What are the limits of hyphenation?
- What did Anderson say about race relations in the workplace (entire quote)?
- What is the “cosmopolitan canopy”?
- What did Du Bois write about multiculturalism (the entire quote)?
- What did Lew Mumford write about the slumlord (the entire quote)?
- In three sentences, describe the photo on page 404.
- What would racial justice look like in the field of housing? Education?
- Does the cosmopolitan individual see racial difference? Why or why not?
- How do the authors connect racial justice with the fictional characters in Moby Dick, Ishmael and Queequeg?
- What did Charles Horton Cooley have to say about intelligence (the entire quote)?
WEEK 10 HOMEWORK
CH 11 pp 408-422
TOWARD RACIAL DEMOCRACY: How do we bring about change?
- Name and define the four levels of change that are necessary to achieve racial democracy.
- What is the problem with an individual asserting that, “I’m so tired of hearing about racism”?
- Why do people of color come to terms with their racial identity earlier than most whites?
- Describe the encounter at the mall of the white parents who had adopted nonwhite children with their white friend.
- What did Du Bois mean by people of color having a “double consciousness” (the entire quote)?
- How do the authors of your text define double consciousness?
- Name and describe the four techniques to hold racist individuals accountable.
- What do the researchers in the race traitor literature call for?
- Why is diversity management insufficient for dismantling racism (two reasons)?
- Give examples of antidiscrimination laws.
- Give examples of what William Julius Wilson’ nonracial solutions to end racism.
- What did Cesar Chavez say on reflection of a lifetime of leading the UFW (the entire quote)?
- Describe how workers in Hawaii formed a multiracial movement against sugar plantation owners.
- Describe the Hawaii sugar workers strike of 1946, including how long it lasted.
- What did Frank Wu say about the efforts of an interracial labor movement (the entire quote)?
- What is the 80/20 phenomenon?