Over the past 150 years, the United States has moved from newspapers and yellow journalism to social media and fake news. Within this time continuum, we find the media attempting to focus voters’ attention on specific issues, sway public opinion, and influence politics. From a present-day perspective, imagine that you are the owner of a large multimedia group and want to increase voter turnout in an upcoming presidential election; therefore, you develop an Expanding Voter Turnout Plan to accomplish this goal using the various media sources at your disposal. Your case study must include the criteria below.
- Include a title page, which should contain the following elements:
- your name,
- title of the paper,
- course name and number,
- your instructor’s name, and
- the submission date.
- Provide an introduction.
- Include a brief overview of the Expanding Voter Turnout Plan and why it is important.
- Your plan must identify a specific turnout percentage that you will set as your goal.
- Provide background information.
- You must set the stage for your essay by providing a brief overview of both the nomination and general election stages that are present in all elections.
- Determining the public’s opinion about elections and voting is critical to successfully targeting your media plan to increase turnout; therefore, you must describe what type of poll you will use to gather the public’s opinion about voting (e.g., how will you determine why individuals do not vote).
- Include the following information to develop your Expanding Voter Turnout Plan.
- The goal for your plan is to increase voter turnout by using modern media outlets, including traditional print media (e.g., newspapers, news journals, and magazines) and broadcast media (e.g., television and radio) as well as Internet-based media (e.g., podcasts, social media, email).
- In your plan, you must clearly identify specific efforts to increase voter turnout.
- Your plan must also specify which media types you will use and how you will use them to increase voter turnout. The media should be used in ways that not only publicize voter turnout efforts but also expand turnout, such as using smartphone apps for voting.
- In addition to targeting voters directly to increase turnout, you must work through the two major political parties. Your plan must include how you will do this.
- While some political campaigns for elected positions, such as the president, may be national in scope, voting is always local. Citizens vote locally at a neighborhood school, church, or civic center. The overall plan may incorporate broad national-level programs, but some features of the plan must have local components.
- Provide a conclusion.
- Identify possible hindrances to the media working as a vehicle to expand voter turnout (e.g., fake news).
- Include a brief overview of the Voter Turnout Expansion Plan.
- Include a references page.
- On the references page, list all sources used, including the textbook, using APA Style.
Your completed plan must be 2–4 pages in length, not counting the title page and references page. Make certain to double-space, apply 1-inch margins, and use 12-point font. Utilize headings to separate major sections of your plan. Cite all sources on the references page using APA Style.
The following resource(s) may help you with this assignment.