Critical Thinking: Scope of the Modern Company
In this module, we looked at technology-based industries and the management of innovation. For this week’s assignment, review Tesla: Disrupting the Auto Industry, Case 12 (Attached). Remember: A case study is a puzzle to be solved, so before reading and answering the specific case study questions, develop your proposed solution by following these five steps:
- Read the case study to identify the key issues and underlying issues. These issues are the principles and concepts of the course area which apply to the situation described in the case study.
- Record the facts from the case study which are relevant to the principles and concepts of the course area issues. The case may have extraneous information not relevant to the current course area. Your ability to differentiate between relevant and irrelevant information is an important aspect of case analysis, as it will inform the focus of your answers.
- Describe in some detail the actions that would address or correct the situation.
- Consider how you would support your solution with examples from experience or current real-life examples or cases from textbooks.
- Complete this initial analysis and then read the discussion questions. Typically, you will already have the answers to the questions but with a broader consideration. At this point, you can add the details and/or analytical tools required to solve the case.
Case Study Questions:
- How are the conventional (internal-combustion-powered) automobile industry and the electric-powered automobile industry similar and how are they different?
- Was it a mistake for Tesla to open its patents? Why or why not?
- What is Tesla’s strategy? What role does innovation play in this strategy?
- How sustainable is Tesla’s competitive advantage? What changes in Tesla’s strategy or its management systems, if any, would you recommend?
Your well-written paper should meet the following requirements:
- Be 5 pages in length with an introduction, which does not include the required title and reference pages, which are never a part of the content minimum requirements.
- Use APA 7 style guidelines.
- Support your submission with course material concepts, principles, and theories from the textbook and at least four scholarly, peer-reviewed journal articles unless the assignment calls for more.
- Review the grading rubric to see how you will be graded for this assignment (Attached)