The following is an observation of Bertie during nap time. She is in the sleep room with 14 other children and 2 staff. Bertie is 3.4 years old.
Bertie was being fidgety on her cot during nap time. She kicked off her blanket and took off her socks and threw them in the air.
One sock landed on her belly, she started to laugh and threw her sock up again. This time the sock landed on her chest. Bertie scrunched her socks, ball like, in her hands, squeezing the sock as hard a she could, which included scrunching up her face.
Bertie started kicking her feet on her bed in a forceful motion while holding tightly t her socks clutched to her chest.
This is the thirdafternoon she has been unable to settle. When the teacher approached Bertie and suggested she tuck her socks under her bed, she pulled them close to her chest again, yelled “NO” as she turned away from the teacher and started to cry quietly.
WATCH 2 YOUTUBE VIDEOS PROVIDED
Using the above observation and the information in the articles on Temperament in Module #1, and your understanding of Child development discuss please address the following 4 questions:
- Is Bertie demonstrating developmentally appropriate social emotional and receptive language development typical of three year old? Explain why you say yes or no.
- Based on the Study of Temperament in this weeks Module determined
- Which of the 3 temperamental Traits do you think Bertie fits into: Include some of the 9 characteristics of the temperament that you used to help you to decide.
- Which of the 4 Temperamental Traits do you think Bertie fits into: Include the characteristics of the temperament that you used to help you to decide.
- Based on your answers to questions 1 and 2 what three questions would you want answered to better understand Bertie’s response/behavior to nap time?
- What Temperament would you say you were as a child, briefly explain why?
Tips for writing your response:
Example of a solid format for a student response to the prompt:
1. Based on the information provided in the prompt, I think Bertie is….
2. Based on the Study of Temperament I think Bertie fits into the _______ category as she demonstrates 3 of the following 9 traits: